Monday, August 2, 2010

A Dump Truck of Blessings

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Psalm 68:19 KJV

I don't often read the King James Version, or even the New King James Version of the Bible. I know many people who believe that it is the most accurate translation and some who believe that it is the only accurate translation. Either way, that being said, there are some verses that strike a cord differently when read in a different version than you typically read.

Psalms is a good one to read in the King James. Not for any particular reason than it is nostalgic for me. I don't feel that Psalm 23 is quite the same or as poignant unless read in King James (blame Ms. Cobb, who was the middle school Sunday school teacher at the Methodist church I attended. She was in her 80's at that point and loved by everyone. However, she had us memorize our verses in the King James or NKJ). But even within the Psalms I am familiar with, God speaks. Don't you love it when you see a verse that isn't new, but that morning (or night) when you read it, something changes.

I am not a morning person (I can already hear my parents and husband both chiming in "amens" of agreement). But lately, I have discovered that if I get up early for something (in this case, dropping my husband off at the airport for an early morning flight), I am not able to fall back asleep like I used to. I could probably blame it on the pregnancy if I wanted, though I think my daughter has very little to do with it (now my not being able to sleep through the night, I will definitely blame on her...even more so after she is born). But even with feeling worn, eyes still squinted from fatigue, God utilizes these rare early mornings to speak to me in His Word. What a precious way to make a beautiful morning.

This morning is was a single verse. I am sure that I have read it thousands of times being that Psalms is a favorite of mine when I have anything that is stressing me, worrying me, or lingering in my mind. Still, this verse spoke all the volumes in the world.
Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Psalm 68:19 KJV

Did you ever think about the fact that God daily loads us down with benefits (think blessings here)? I love the wording in this. When I see words like load, I think of a dump truck. I do not like driving behind dump trucks. They are always loaded down with their cargo. With my little car behind them, I'm always worried that something will fly out of the overflowing back and hit me. Now switch that to God's blessings. Man, wouldn't it be great to be around someone who was so loaded down with blessings from God that one of them flew off of them and smacked you in the face?! That would be awesome! And that's where I see Christians taking this for granted. God has given us a bounty of blessings that we tend to hoard but what we miss is the second part of this verse...
even the God of our salvation.
wow. I mean, seriously...stop and read that again. God daily gives us this GIANT LOAD of blessings...even the God of our salvation. The greatest of all blessings is our Salvation through Jesus Christ and we are selfishly keeping it all to ourselves.
Romans 1:16 says,
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes
God has blessed us beyond what we deserve or could ever earn but the paramount gift that he gives us is our salvation. It is the very thing that will keep us from eternal separation and eternal damnation and we aren't on every rooftop shouting to the world about this fantastic gift that is for every living soul! Paul tells us that it is the power of God and still...we keep it to ourselves.

Maybe we need to be a little more like those dump trucks I'm so scared to drive behind. God has blessed us abundantly, let a few of those blessings fly out and smack some people in the face...and share with them the power of the God who gave them to you in the first place.

No comments: