Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Audience of One

I remember beginning to think about what I wanted to be when I was in middle school. At the time I was really good at science and had found an organization where I could sponsor a gray wolf. You know the programs where they have people sponsor and animal (I've seen them for whales and certain endangered species). Essentially the organziations use the money raised to keep research prjects alive and to help keep these animals alive and healthy. This whole sponsorship thing that I was a part of made me want to work for them--a wolf biologist, working with this same pack in the Sawtooth Mountains just outside of Boise, Idaho. Makes me cold just thinking about it.
While I still consider wolves to be my favorite animals, I discovered pretty quickly that, while I was decent in biology, I did not have the gifiting to make that my field of study. I preferred words to formulas. I discovered that I had been given a distinct personality for a reason. Even as a child, I was always outspoken. This led to some rather intense arguments between me and my mom but it also led to me being very passionate about what I believe.
When I was younger and wanted to be a biologist, I had specific dreams of being out in the wild doing research on a particular wolf pack. As I grew older (and transitioned through about a dozen other job scenarios), my focus became more person--be a voice for those who can't (or won't) speak for themselves. While I still stand very close to that, it has shifted a little more...be a ready ear for those who need it and a sound voice of guidance.
You see, God is continuing to work on my heart but ultimately, as long as I am seeking His approval, I will find that I am successful in the end. Galatians 1:10 reads,
"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
It's good to want to meet your own expectations. It is good to want your parent's approval. It is good to appease your suppervisor or teacher and it is good to want to be successful. What is not good is putting those approvals above the approval of God. We need to focus our dreams on God and what will happen is amazing. Our dreams will begin to come true! When our focus is God and our desire is to serve Him, we will succeed. When our dreams are given to us by God, we will achieve them to greater levels than we could even imagine on our own. When we perform for an audience of One, we will always receive a standing ovation and a job well done.

No comments: