Monday, January 31, 2011

Lessons learned in 2 months

It is hard to believe that my little girl is almost 2 months already. She is starting to hold her head up, look around at the voices talking to her and kick her legs like nobody's business. She loves to swing her arms and hit a rattle on her play-mat, to sleep on mommy or daddy's chest rather than her crib, and she is even starting to have wonderful "conversations"

Over these past couple months since she was born I've learned a couple things and I thought I would share them.

First, Sleep is relative. When the baby is crying at 4 AM and cried unless they were held the entire day prior, everything is a blur. You want to sleep and given a single second to lay your head on a moderately soft surface, you probably would, but right now, the baby is the priority.

There are very few things in this world that beat baby snuggles Especially in the mornings. I'm still blurry eyed (though that is pretty much all the time anymore), somewhat drowsy and even if I don't go back to sleep, I don't want to get out of bed. So I bring I lay my little girl on my chest and love every moment. She sleeps so soundly in the moments and hugs me with her little arms. I know that it won't last but those are some of my favorite times.

A single smile really can brighten your day The first time that I saw Samara smile I thought my heart would melt. I'm talking about those real smiles, not the ones that just kinda happen that usually accompany gas. The first time I was given this gift was early one morning. I went to pick her up out of her crib, talking to her, and saying good morning and I was rewarded handsomely. She turned her head toward me and smiled. It didn't matter how early it was or how late I had stayed up with her the night before. All was forgiven in one precious smile.

Patience is an option not a virtue I am not a patient person by nature. Sadly, when taking a spiritual gifts test, mercy receives the lowest score. When I was pregnant, I didn't know how I would handle the stress that accompanies a newborn, but for some reason, it hasn't been a problem. I know she is trying to tell me what is wrong even when it is conveyed by crying to the point of giving herself hiccups. There has been only one time that I lost my patience and told my husband I needed him to take care of her while I went to bed. In my own experience, that's a good percentage. My only mindset with my daughter is how can I make it better and I choose to have the patience that I don't normally harbor to find the solution.

you can do an amazingly large amount of things one handed I always kind of laughed to myself when people talked about what was an accomplishment after having a baby (remembering to eat, getting a shower and getting dressed, etc.) I couldn't imagine forgetting to eat. But when the baby is crying every time you lay them down, or they are hungry (again), they take priority and the other things take a back seat. The trick is to hold the baby in a way that they won't fall back since they can't support themselves yet, and make yourself a sandwich as quickly as possible. Or when walking the dog, make sure that the hand that is holding the leash is not the dominant hand supporting the baby. Who needs two hands? :)

from the second they come into the world, time flies I have looked at her pictures from the hospital and it is amazing how much my little girl has changed in a matter of 8 weeks. She's growing up and suddenly the days are blurring together. Where she was completely helpless, she can now sleep through the night and has learned that sucking on her hands can comfort her for a little bit where before only mom could fill that docket. I know that if I turn around for a single minute, she will be holding herself up in full confidence and getting ready to walk. The days seemed like years when I was a child, but now that I have a child of my own, they are mere moments flying past. I can only pray that I savor them each one by one.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Oh Becca!! I pray you and Kyle savor every moment with the sweet blessing you have in Samara. I love to see just how much God has grown you and is growing you. You have so much to share and teach Samara.